Split pea soup is one of our favorites. It’s something that is really nice to cook on a cold weekend. It’s creamy and filling and warms you to the bone. Here’s how we prepare our split pea soup.
* Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
- 1 cup dry split peas
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 to 1.5 lb. smoked pork hocks or 1-1.5 lb. meaty ham bone
- 1/4 tsp dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Rinse peas.
- In a large saucepan combine peas, broth, meat, marjoram, bay leaf and pepper to taste.
- Bring to boiling, then reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove meat.
- Cut meat off the bone and coarsely chop.
- Discard bone.
- Return meat to saucepan.
- Stir in carrot, celery and onion.
- Return to boiling, then reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf.
Makes 4 large servings.
Refrigerate before freezing.
Check back later to see how it holds up after being thawed and reheated!