Kellen and I decided pretty early on in the pregnancy that we want to cloth diaper. They’re less expensive. We both ended up in cloth due to allergic reactions to disposables as babies, and we figure it’s just not worth chancing with our kids. Plus, in my opinion at least, they’re much, much cuter. (Saving the environment is nice, but it didn’t really factor into our decision-making.)
I’ve started slowly working on building our stash, but I’m kind of curious to know whether we’re on the right path. If you cloth diaper, I’d love to hear your input!
- 4 Fuzzibunz OS — they only came with 2 toddler inserts for some reason, so I’m going to have to cut down one of the inserts to fit the diapers when they’re sized down to a smaller baby.
On the list to be purchased:
- 144 Seventh Generation Free and Clear disposables (to use until meconium passes)
- 6 OsoCozy prefolds, size 1
- 6 Bummis prefolds, 7-20 lbs.
- 6 Thirsties covers, x-small
- 6 more Fuzzibunz OS, these with toddler and newborn inserts
- 6 Fuzzibunz hemp inserts
- 3 GroVia OS diaper shells
- 50 GroVia disposable biosoakers
- 4 regular GroVia soaker pads
- 3 Happy Heiny’s OS
- 200 Imse Vimse flushable liners
- 10 Bummis reusable fleece liners
- 30 Babykicks cloth wipes
- Thirstie’s Booty Love diaper ointment
- Nellie’s Laundry Soda
- Rockin’ Green Laundry Detergent
- Travel wet bag
- Home wet bag
- Munchkin Warm Glow Wipe Warmer (cloth friendly)
- Bum Genius Diaper Sprayer
I guess my biggest concern is: will my stash work for a newborn? I’m planning to use mostly prefolds until we hit the 10-lb. mark, and since I’ll be home for that period, daily laundry shouldn’t be too much of a struggle. However, I’m wondering if maybe I should pick up some more prefolds or even maybe buy a few AIOs that are specifically sized to newborns.
My other questions: Do I need more liners? More inserts? More wipes? Is there something I have too much? Is there a different brand I should add into the mix?
I’m basically clueless, and I’m really worried about buying all of these things and finding out after the fact that I’ve spent a lot of money on all the wrong stuff! So please, if you see anything I’m doing wrong, let me know! I’d love to hear your tips and suggestions.